As long as the articulation doesn't take away from the sculpt, I don't really care either way.
Obviously passions run high on this topic, so let's talk about it in as non offensive manner as we can.
For myself, I'll gladly sacrifice articulation for sculpt any day. But that hasn't always been the case with me as I used to fight the opposite battle years ago on the white board when I used to extoll the virtues of Kaiyodo and their insane amounts of articulation.
Let the fun begin.
As long as the articulation doesn't take away from the sculpt, I don't really care either way.
I love articulation. Mainly for the pose potential. the evas and that are awesome because you can pose them so many different ways. other than posing, the only other reason I could see you having to have massive articulation would be to play with the figure. I dont really play other than getting the pose I like and maybe changing it now and then.
I would however give up massive articulation for a great sculpt. If its a pose I like or can live with and it stands without needing moved, I can live with an awesome non articulated figures, but it would always be good to have some so you can tweek them just right.
it all depends on the figure or line itself. some just scream they need articultion and some just seem to not have to be loaded with it to be cool. the look of the figure is the main thing for me.
also, you can never go by pics of two ups and such. they dont always show what the figure will have in the pics
<font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ October 22, 2004 09:52 PM: Message edited by: chaserfan ]</font>
The arguement has no more of a standing point. [img]frown.gif[/img] It all comes down to what makes a company is more comfortable to work with, and to what market the company wants to aim for.
Some companies have moved into sculpt as it's cheaper to produce. And they have lost some customers, and have gained some others.
Some companies have continued with articulation, and are now producing incredible works of true toy engineering. And they have gained more customers, and they have also lost some customers becuase of their figure's prices compared to the cheaper statue kind. [img]wink.gif[/img]
Of late, for me it's not so much the sculpt, it's those friggin dynamic poses that take up too much space and look horrible if kept MOC.
However I will forever stand besides articulation.
Yes the Japanese mini figures are cool as statues. But I would pay that extra 5 dollars to have an articulated Spawn figure.
But then again, since this year that I've limited myself on McFarlane products because of this issue, I've founded myself buying more and more of the expensive imported Japanese stuff.
Sculpt first for me-
But then again, Captain Action would never of been as cool as it was without all that articulation............
Guess I vote for "Coolness" as most important~
[img]wink.gif[/img]
I think what turned the tide for me was the Sports Figs. Which is kind of heretical since I thought that they would cause the collapse of Western Civilization.
But when I saw them and began to realize how they represented the capturing of a "Moment in Time", I was able to transfer that argument to the other lines of figs.
The figures that I open basically never get touched after a day or so. So if the original sculpt captures a perfect moment for that fig, I have no need for anymore articulation.
yep if it has a great pose then it usually only needs a little articulation to tweek it here and there. I love Image Spawn with all the articultion, but after a while you get it to a pose you like and thats how it usually stays, therefore youre not even using the articulation anymore. dont get me wrong, I love to open a figure and goof around with all the articulation, but if it compromises the look of the figure, than I'd rather have the sculpt detail
I will go with sculpt cause I don't really "Play" with my figures and I want them to be as real or accurate as possible. Of course, some of the fixed posicions given to a specific toy might not be what I want, but so far I like what I have. If there is a way to hide those joints, I can go for articulation, but some times is not possible. I will also have to agree that they should be called "Figures in action" rather than "Action figures" just because you can turn at least the head or a torso....
Overall I like what is produced so far.
The very first figures I bought were Bob McKenzie and Spawn V, so you can probably guess my stance.
But that's only for high-detail figs like McF and NECA. I still love my MLs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I found the McKenzie figs this year for 4.99 each, and there were still some with the damage package. Maybe I should have taken another pair for displayOriginally posted by Peter Hoffman:
The very first figures I bought were Bob McKenzie and Spawn V, so you can probably guess my stance.
But that's only for high-detail figs like McF and NECA. I still love my MLs.
[img]frown.gif[/img]
<font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ October 22, 2004 10:59 PM: Message edited by: MM4 ]</font>
Bookmarks